Image
Icon

Directory

IconAssociations and Institutes
IconBBBEE Consulting and Verification Agencies
IconCompare Medical Scheme Benefits
IconConsumer Protection
IconCorporate Governance
IconCredit Bureaus
IconEmergency Medical Rescue
IconExpatriate Cover
IconHealthcare Consultants
IconMedical Aid Brokers
IconMedical Aid Schemes
IconMedical Schemes Trustees Liability Insurance
IconMedical Service Providers
IconNiche Medical Insurance Products
IconOmbud
IconOnline Quotes
IconPublications
IconRegulatory Authorities
IconWellness Programs
Image
  Subscribe To »

WIOTA gathers 728 years experience around the same table

Published

2012

Thu

19

Apr

By Michael E. Stoker

Insurance Gateway® a division of Stoker Risk and ICT (Pty) Ltd

www.insurancegateway.co.za

 

 

The WIOTA group – April 2012

 

I was reminded of the “comradie” which exists within the insurance fraternity when I attended the WIOTA meeting last week. WIOTA, which somewhat tongue in cheek stands for the “West Rand Insurance Old Toppies Association” is an informal networking group of insurance folks from insurers, underwriting mangers and brokers who meet roughly once a quarter.

 

The venue is not fixed, the last meeting having been held in the quaint surrounds of the Al Fresco restaurant in Muldersdrift and it was quite a thought that a relatively small group such as this could amass 728 years of insurance experience around the table. Two of the attendees each had over 50 years of experience in the industry, while the overall average was some 40 years.

 

The group was started some four years ago by Eldred Braun to provide a forum where likeminded insurance practitioners can engage with others and discuss the challenges they face in the industry. At a time when the industry is undergoing major reform, forums of this nature can prove to be particularly valuable for independent intermediaries.

 

Despite the name, the group is open to young and old. Should you be interested in attending the next meeting, please contact Chris van Niekerk on 011 768 1441.

With the trend in thinking leaning towards “big is good”, it is easy to overlook the value of initiatives of this nature, because groups like this usually comprise of the “people on the ground”, who can tell you like it is. On the soft issues side the group most distinctly provides an emotional support system for folks on the coalface, who have to “hou die blink kant bo” everday.

Maybe there are other informal groups like this around the country…let me know if you are part of one, we’d like to publish that. If you don’t have a group in your area why not give some thought to starting one and let me know if you do?

 

 
Source: Insurance Gateway®
 
« Back to previous page Print this page » |
 

Breaking News »

Law Society welcomes implementation of the National Forum on the Legal Profession

The Law Society of South Africa (LSSA) welcomes the implementation of Parts 1 and 2 of Chapter 10 of the Legal Practice Act 28 of 2014, which on Sunday, 1 February 2015 will bring into effect the National Forum ...
Read More »

  

Medical insurance gives employers a cost-effective alternative in ensuring employee wellness

Workplace absenteeism costs the South African economy R16 billion a year; 17% of South Africans enjoy the benefits of well-resourced private clinics and hospitals due to medical aid, leaving 83% of the ...
Read More »

  

Consolidation of financial services legislation

The Draft Market Conduct Framework, published in December last year, identified the diversity of legislation regulating different sectors of the industry as one cause for the Regulator’s inability to supervise ...
Read More »

  

Dealing with anxiety and change

Throughout one’s life change is a constant companion. More often than not, the beginning of a new year tends to herald some form of transition, whether it is going a different school or university, starting ...
Read More »

 

More News »

Image

Investment »

Image

Life »

Image

Retirement »

Image

Short-term »

Advertise Here
Image
Advertise Here

From The Glossary »

Icon

Money-market Portfolio:

See "Cash Portfolio".
More Definitions »

 
 
By using this website you agree to the Terms of Use.
Copyright © Stoker Risk & ICT (Pty) Ltd 2004 - 2015.
All Rights Reserved.
Icon

Advertise

  Icon

eZine

  Icon

Contact IG

Icon

Media Pack

  Icon

RSS Feeds